Roberto Catani (Jesi, 1965) is an animator and illustrator. From 1989 to 2017 he taught Animated Drawing at the Istituto Statale d’Arte in Urbino, since 2017 he has taught at the Liceo Artistico “F. Mengaroni” in Pesaro. He has been making animated films since 1995. He published his drawings for Fatatrac, Lo Straniero, Bologna Children Book Fair and drawed the illustrations for Clermont Ferrandand, Positano, Siena and Pistoia (presente italiano festival) posters.
He made the following animated films:
- “Il pesce rosso” (1995) selected for the major international animation film festivals.
- “La sagra” (1998) selected for the major international festivals received the following awards; – first prize at the Ffilm Ffestival ’98 (italy) Pencil – first prize at the Espinho International Animation Festival in 98 (Portugal); – first prize Clipstrip ’98 (italy); – second prize Rudiae ’99 (italy); – special jury prize at the Fano Film Festival (italy); – jury prize at the New York Expo ’99 (usa); – first prize Dervio ’00 (Italy); – first prize at the Zagreb International Animation Festival’00 (croatia); – special mention of the jury at the Siena ’00 short film festival (Italy); – special mention from the Corto Circuito Napoli ’00 (Italy) jury.
- “La Funambola” (2002) selected for the major international festivals has received the following awards; – special mention of the Jury for its artistic qualities at the Annecy Festival (France 2002) – special prize at the International Festival of Hiroshima (Japan 2002); – nomination for the Cartoon d’Or 2002; – SILVER TAPE as the best animated short at the 40th edition of the international film meetings (2003) – Marche Media Library Award and second prize at the Fano Film Festival 2002 (Italy) – Special Jury Mention at the Festival of Animated Castles of Genzano 2002 (Italy); – Best animated film Siena International Short Film Festival 2002 – Third prize at the Dresden Film Fest (Germany) – Special Mention – Critics Award at the Wissembourg Animation Film Festival (France); – Jury Prize at the Krakow Festival (Poland).
- “La testa fra le nuvole” (2013) selected for the major international festivals has received the following awards; – grand jury prize at ANIMATEKA (Ljubljana) – Special Jury mention in Annecy, – Kinodot Film Festival jury prize (2015) – best animation film EuganeaFilmFestival (2015) – special mention by IAFF KROK jury (Ukraine 2015) – mention special of the jury in Balkanima (Belgrade 2014) – special mention of the jury at the ISFF in Vilnius (Lithuania 2015) – special mention of the jury at CutOut Fest (Mexico 2014)
- “Per tutta la vita” (2018), selected in official competition in all the most important international festivals of Animation Cinema and Short Film, obtained the following awards; – grand jury prize at the “Sommet du cinema d’animation” (Montreal 2018) – special mention at Animateka (Ljubljana 2018) – shortlist Davide di Donatello (Rome 2019) – special mention at Sorsi Corti (Palermo 2019)